Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Relics of My Hockey Fan History

I was home visiting my folks the past couple of days, and when I do that I tend to rummage through stuff to look for lost relics from my younger days. This time I went on a bit of a mission - to find relics from my hockey past, with one item in particular. It was a successful treasure hunt: i found a number of items from my JV level team, the Muddogs. An old hat, a jersey and some other paraphanalia. But then I started finding gems that I had long forgotten, and eventually my mom helped my find the piece de resistence. Let's take a look at my goodies.

Wait...no, not THOSE. The Red Wings stuff I found. Perverts. 

First off, I'm going to admit this one might actually belong to my brother. I have no recollection of how it original came to be in my (or his) possession. Until he can make a claim to it, I'm going to apply the legal precedent of Finders Keepers. Either way, it's cool that our family has a signed photo of Igor "The Professor" Larionov

I'm also not entirely sure how I came into possess of this. However I'm fairly certain that someone had it in a locker room during a practice or game for some reason, and I probably totally stole it. It needs some signatures though.


Another item I'm not sure of the exact way I came to own it, however this one I'm assuming was purchased by myself or as a gift. Keith Primeau was my first favorite Red Wing. In fact, a huge reason I prefer to wear #15 is because of Keith Primeau. When I went to get started in my first roller hockey league in middle school, they asked me what number I wanted to wear. I proudly said "55!" because of Primeau. Then was informed their jerseys only went up to 15. Since it was the closest to 55, and I think 5 was taken, I took 15 and never looked back. Also, promptly after taking an interest in the Red Wings and Keith Primeau, he was traded.

Don't tell me that doesn't look like "Keith Ass". 
I think it's supposed to be "Keith P. 55"

But that's okay, because I came to love the guy we traded for him. The guy whose signature is still the greatest signature I own. Because my dad secured us tickets to a charity game hosted by Dave Coulier. Because apparently Uncle Joey from Full House is from St. Clair Shores, played hockey in high school and is a Red Wings fan. Who knew?

Slated to appear at the charity game was, as I recall, such illustrious Red Wings as Oh Captain, My Captain Steve Yzerman, Sergei Federov, Darren McCarty and Brendan "An Incident Occurred..." Shanahan, the man who Keith Primeau was traded for. If my memory serves me correctly, Yzerman showed up for a few shifts, maybe a period at the most. Federov didn't show up at all. But both McCarty and Shanahan stayed for the whole game.

I went skipping down to the glass, hoping to get a souveneir - I just barely missed out on getting the stick he used during the charity game. Instead I hung over the glass the Detroit Red Wings calender I brought with me for just this very reason.



I don't know why he signed it over Federov's face. Maybe he hated Federov. Maybe he wasn't paying any attention (most likely). But I assure you that is Brendan Shanahan's signature. And while this may be my memory trying to maintain a whimsical and magically ideal story, but I am 99% sure that it was the last thing he signed for anyone before skating off. 

I was so fucking stoked. 

But looking at it today, I noticed something amazing and wonderful, and this being Third Round Draft Pick, I would be remiss if I didn't point it out.


HOLY SHIT IT'S A YOUNG NICKLAS LIDSTROM! THE PERFECT HUMAN WAS SO PERFECTLY ADORABLE!

I'd love to see pictures or hear stories of your wonderful hockey fan memories, whether they be joyous, confusing or bittersweet. Post or tweet me pictures or stories, and maybe we can do like a collection or something. Honestly, I think The Production Line has one of the best ever. But I want to hear yours. 

1 comment:

  1. I have a few autographed items, but I think the one I'm the most proud of is my Red Wings hat that had Draper, McCarty and Maltby's signatures on it. I got Draper and Maltby's at Training campy last year and thought at the time that it would be freaking sweet if I could somehow get McCarty's and have the Grind Line hat. I had no idea at the time how I would ever get McCarty's, but a year later he came to me! No really, he was up for an ALS fundraiser/awareness baseball game and I sat through a whole baseball game just to get his autograph (it was painful but completely worth it). When I handed D-Mac the hat, he got a huge smile on his face and looked up at me and said "The Grind Line eh?" I was proud and excited, and McCarty was awesome. We talked, we laughed, he signed, we posed for a picture... So now I have my Grind Line hat and it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete