Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I'll See You (Choke) in St. Louis... or will I?

As I'm writing this, I don't know what the score ended up being, because I'm writing this after the second St. Louis goal. I just could not bring myself to watch the rest of the game. I couldn't do it. I pushed my wife out of the living room of the apartment with my vulgar screaming. I was that mad.

This picture roughly sums up how mad I was
This has to be the most frustrating loss (holy shit they fucking tied it?!) I've seen from the Red Wings all season. And I say that having watched them lose to Columbus. I mean, there was so much right in this game, I'd even go so far as to say for most of the game. And as soon as the Red Wings catch a huge break, as soon as they can put the game away and get a much needed win, the winged wheels come off the wagon.

I don't want to dwell on this game any longer than I have to, so I'm going to bullet point, hand out the awards, and get back to watching "Sons of Guns" because I really wish I could fucking shoot something right now.


  • The Wings PK looked strong again. Drew Miller worked especially hard. The guy has been a work horse for the PK in the absence of Patrick Eaves and Darren Helm. 
  • I thought the refs were going to be helping out the Blues today with a huge no call when Kronwall got hauled down. It did change later in the game, but for obvious reasons, I think I can say for once I'd rather the calls didn't go our way.
  • Blues fans cheer when Stuart gets hurt by a cheap shot to the head. Stay classy, Missourians. Stay classy. Assholes.
Ever notice the St. Louis Arch looks
like a giant asshole and/or
vagina?
  • I've been pulling for Valteri Filppula lately, because he's been working hard and doing great things. But he had a great opportunity for a shot, and instead he tried to make one more pass to Hudler, who couldn't handle it (not Hudler's fault) and messed up a scoring chance. 
  • Red Wings PP looked great (until...). Their 2 and 3rd PP's especially. Their 3rd was probably the best PP I've seen all season, did everything but score. They dominated for most of the 2nd and a lot of the third period.
  • David Backes is a diving pussy. I'm glad Franzen punched him in his stupid head for being such a pansy.
How I will see David Backes from now on. 
  • The Wings gave up a short handed goal on a FIVE MINUTE POWERPLAY. They got outworked for the entirety of it, gave up a goal, then took a weak penalty, and gave up another goal on the 4-4. 
  • Franzen woke up all of a sudden, along with Datsyuk.
  • I'm going to tip my fucking hat to Todd Bertuzzi by actually using his name.
Awards after the Break



Time for the Awards Segment of Our Show:

The Bret Lebda Game Puck: Jonathan Ericsson for being pretty sloppy today. He kept getting swarmed and rushed, but he could have been stronger and better with the puck, I felt. This was a tough decision because I didn't feel I could give two awards to one guy. But if anything, Ericsson slid backwards from an excellent game previously.

The Kris Draper Game Puck:  Pavel Datsyuk: he looked really good, he looked back in his true Datsyukian form, and was getting worked over something awful this game. But he never stopped working for it

The Derian Hatcher Game Puck: Jakub Kindl, because both of the Red Wings goals were his fault. Yes, Jimmy could have probably played them both better, but breakaways and odd man rushes happen because of defensive breakdowns. Kindl fucked up and gave the puck away with stupid passes, twice leading to goals, and I hope Brendan Smith gets his job.

O' Captain, My Captain Game Puck:  Johan Franzen, pronounced "YO-HAN (Han as in Han Solo) FRAH-ZEN" for the mouth breathers on NBC Sports. He came up big for Detroit in April, and got us the tie for the shootout. If he can suddenly turn it on for the playoffs, the Wings' chances have drastically imrpoved.

Epilogue: Could also be called "thoughts I wanted to add after I wrote my angry, rash immediate reactions to what was happening after Blues goal #2"

Watching St. Louis in a late season, play-off-esqe atmosphere, it's no wonder they're hunting for the President's trophy. They're a tough, physical team that can capitalize on their chances, and Brian Elliot should probably win the Vezina (I'd be rooting for Howard if he hadn't gotten hurt). The Red Wings are going to have to find more physicality in their game to survive the playoffs. I know Darren Helm was a big part of that, but they need Stuart, Ericsson, Kronwall, Abdelkader, Miller, Emmerton, Bertuzzi, and Holmstrom to be more physical for the entire 60 minutes. Hitting more and harder, grinding harder, and making guys pay the price. They got out hit 2:1 (24 to 12). They can't expect 1 Kronwalling to get the job done.

P.S. NHL on NBC Sports commentator Keith Jones said the award for the best defenseman should go to the defenseman who has had the best offensive output. In other news, Keith Jones is the dumbest hairpiece on television since Rick Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment