|After years of putting up with Roy, I finally had my irrational|
hatred of people named "Patrick" cured, thanks to Mr. Eaves
The second period I'd say was about even. Wings got some chances but the Panthers didn't let up. At times it seemed like the Wings didn't want it as much, and other times they really stepped up their game. If this game was decided by effort, it would have been a loss in the first period, a tie in the 2nd, and a huge win in the 3rd. The 3rd was all Detroit. Let's hit some bullet points, some video and pictures, hand out the awards and call it an evening.
- Jimmy Howard didn't have to be over-the-top good, but he definitely seemed to be back in form and did what he'd been doing a lot this season: keeping the Wings in the game and giving them a chance to win.
- Drew Miller smote a Panther with his stick. It wasn't a slash or a high stick, it was a Thor-esqe smiting. I'm not supposed to laugh when that happens, but I did.
- The jury has returned the verdict on Kyle Quincy: he sucks. He likes to hit the post a lot, be sort of meh the entire game until he takes a colossally stupid penalty. Like he did tonight. A huge boarding/elbow hit that earned a 5 minute game misconduct for elbowing. He got kicked out of the game, EIGHT SECONDS after the Hudler goal (Goal @ 5:30 in the 3rd, penalty at 5:38...served by Hudler). He's probably going to get a suspension for the play, and unless he plays miraculously come playoff time, I want him gone in the off season.
- The Zetterberg-Hudler-Filppula line was amazing still. A lot of pressure, a lot of chances, and I thought Filppula had gotten the goal (which he deserved) but it was Hudler. Who also deserved it. And then Hudler buried a sweet shot in the shootout. While other line juggling did happen, and should happen, ZHF needs to stay together.
- At one point I remarked Holmstrom and Nyquist were the two hardest working players on the ice. And it was true for some time, until the rest of the team woke up. I think the Masterton nomination has really lit a fire under Homer's ass (Woohoo!). Goose got a ton of chances again, and I'm still a tad frustrated that he didn't finish. But I keep my frustration tempered by other people reminding me that he'll come along. I just have to keep that mantra going: "He's still young, it's still early in his career, he'll come along".
- Pavel Datsyuk did this. The rest of existence can just fuckin' deal with it. He told Larry "This is a Guy" Murphy he was trying to bank it off the back of the goalie's head. Again. Deal with it.
The Wings hung in there until the end and got 2 points. It was a good 2 points, but we need to get more wins in regulation, without coming from behind. Awards show after the break.
Time for the Awards Segment of Our Show:
|Never invite Kindl to your White Elephant Christmas. He's|
that guy who steals his own gift because he bought
something that he really wanted for himself.
The Kris Draper Game Puck: Gustav Nyquist for busting his ass for a lot of chances. He looked so hungry this game. He was put back on a line with Franzen and Datsyuk, which was dubbed by @Shelby Mann with the moniker "Pavquist". I think Employee #44 works better as a grindy but talented 3rd liner; it's about opportunity costs, and I think you sacrifice more by moving Goose down in the lineup.
The Derian Hatcher Game Puck: Kyle Quincy, because he said that he wasn't quite comfortable yet playing with the Wings. I remarked on Twitter that's probably because the penalty box isn't a very comfortable place to sit. Apparently he heard me and took that point to mind, and got kicked out of the game. I hope he's suspended, I hope we trade him in the off season, and I hope Brendan Smith gets his job.
|Jiri get many prostitutes for goal!|