Sunday, April 1, 2012

Happy Hudler Hands us a Home Win

Whew! That was quite the game! But before I start into my review, I promised I'd dedicate this review to Patrick Eaves. If you haven't already, please head over to Winging it in Motown and give some words of encouragement to Eaves. We won't see him again until next season, and with everything he's done for the Wings, he deserves to be recognized.

After years of putting up with Roy, I finally had my irrational
hatred of people named "Patrick" cured, thanks to Mr. Eaves
The Red Wings squeaked out a win in the shoot out tonight. If hockey games weren't already divided up into 3 periods, you could divide this game up into three segments. The first period the Wings were pretty terribad. Sloppy, anemic and slow. A lot of turnovers and a lack of offense. The saving grace during the 1st period was Jimmy Howard. He looked really really solid and made a lot of great saves to the keep the Wings in the game. He got a piece of the shot that gave the Panthers a 1-0 lead. But had the Wings not blown their assignments, that goal wouldn't have happened.

The second period I'd say was about even. Wings got some chances but the Panthers didn't let up. At times it seemed like the Wings didn't want it as much, and other times they really stepped up their game. If this game was decided by effort, it would have been a loss in the first period, a tie in the 2nd, and a huge win in the 3rd. The 3rd was all Detroit. Let's hit some bullet points, some video and pictures, hand out the awards and call it an evening.

  • Jimmy Howard didn't have to be over-the-top good, but he definitely seemed to be back in form and did what he'd been doing a lot this season: keeping the Wings in the game and giving them a chance to win.
  • Drew Miller smote a Panther with his stick. It wasn't a slash or a high stick, it was a Thor-esqe smiting. I'm not supposed to laugh when that happens, but I did. 
  • The jury has returned the verdict on Kyle Quincy: he sucks. He likes to hit the post a lot, be sort of meh the entire game until he takes a colossally stupid penalty. Like he did tonight. A huge boarding/elbow hit that earned a 5 minute game misconduct for elbowing. He got kicked out of the game, EIGHT SECONDS after the Hudler goal (Goal @ 5:30 in the 3rd, penalty at 5:38...served by Hudler). He's probably going to get a suspension for the play, and unless he plays miraculously come playoff time, I want him gone in the off season.
  • The Zetterberg-Hudler-Filppula line was amazing still. A lot of pressure, a lot of chances, and I thought Filppula had gotten the goal (which he deserved) but it was Hudler. Who also deserved it. And then Hudler buried a sweet shot in the shootout. While other line juggling did happen, and should happen, ZHF needs to stay together.
  • At one point I remarked Holmstrom and Nyquist were the two hardest working players on the ice. And it was true for some time, until the rest of the team woke up. I think the Masterton nomination has really lit a fire under Homer's ass (Woohoo!). Goose got a ton of chances again, and I'm still a tad frustrated that he didn't finish. But I keep my frustration tempered by other people reminding me that he'll come along. I just have to keep that mantra going: "He's still young, it's still early in his career, he'll come along".
  • Pavel Datsyuk did this. The rest of existence can just fuckin' deal with it. He told Larry "This is a Guy" Murphy he was trying to bank it off the back of the goalie's head. Again. Deal with it.


The Wings hung in there until the end and got 2 points. It was a good 2 points, but we need to get more wins in regulation, without coming from behind. Awards show after the break.



Time for the Awards Segment of Our Show:

Never invite Kindl to your White Elephant Christmas. He's
that guy who steals his own gift because he bought
something that he really wanted for himself.
The Bret Lebda Game Puck: Jakub Kindlfor being pretty sloppy today. There was one point where he turned the puck over in our zone, then got the puck right back, and sort of said, "Hey, I gave this to you guys. You can't Indian give it back! No givsies backsies! TAKE IT!" and turned it over again. Thankfully it didn't result in a goal.

The Kris Draper Game Puck: Gustav Nyquist for busting his ass for a lot of chances. He looked so hungry this game. He was put back on a line with Franzen and Datsyuk, which was dubbed by @Shelby Mann with the moniker "Pavquist". I think Employee #44 works better as a grindy but talented 3rd liner; it's about opportunity costs, and I think you sacrifice more by moving Goose down in the lineup.

The Derian Hatcher Game Puck: Kyle Quincy, because he said that he wasn't quite comfortable yet playing with the Wings. I remarked on Twitter that's probably because the penalty box isn't a very comfortable place to sit. Apparently he heard me and took that point to mind, and got kicked out of the game. I hope he's suspended, I hope we trade him in the off season, and I hope Brendan Smith gets his job.

O' Captain, My Captain Game Puck: Jiri Hudler for the game tying goal in regulation and the game winner in OT. It was a wicked shot in OT, and his pass/shot to the net would have hit Filpulla had it not hit a Panther first and bounced in. Either way, he's been a completely different player this season as opposed to last. Instead of Hatin' Hudler, I'm Happy for Hudler.
Jiri get many prostitutes for goal!
Shout out to @Jeff_Hancock: Ha ha! Samuelsson really does suck!

4 comments:

  1. I concur that the Quincy penalty was beyond stupid but I'm not ready to say he sucks. Yes, he's made some mistakes but so do Eriksson and Kindle...on a more-than-regular basis. I see a lot of solid scoring chances just not going in...sometimes off the iron or simple open-net misses. Hopefully Babs will get them buttoned up for playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Kindl is still young enough that I'm willing to cut him some slack. Ericsson, yes I will grant you can be good for a lot of bone headed plays at times. But then you have games like tonight where he was exceptionally good for us, especially on the PK. Maybe Ericsson never becomes better than a really good 3rd defensive pairing player, maybe he never makes it up to 1st or 2nd pairing, but he at least forces me to debate his value.

      The Wings made two moves at the trade deadline and one of them was Quincey. Holland did so because he figured Quincey was all we needed to be playoff ready. 16 games played, 2 goals, 1 assist and 29 PIM's with +/- of 0. 29 penalty minutes in 16 games. Compare that to..

      Lidstrom: 26 PIM in 67 GP's
      Stuart: 27 PIM in 78 GP's
      White: 22 PIM in 72 GP's
      Kronwall: 36 PIM in 79 GP's
      Ericsson: 47 PIM in 66 GP's
      Kindl: 25 PIM in 54 GP's

      What other guys could we have gotten or who could we have brought up from Grand Rapids instead of bringing in Quincy who is showing himself to be a liability?

      Delete
  2. I never checked his stats, which I commend you for doing, but I do watch all 82 games so these are just "off-the-top-of-my-head" thoughts. Q came in at the trade deadline which was just about the time we lost A LOT of players. I'm sure everyone's stats suffered during that stretch. I like Q's aggression (as I do B. Smith) although I am surprised by the PIMs. I don't think Holland expected so many injuries. Could we have used a marquee blue-liner? Of course and I'd expect Kenny to use some of that cap room to do just that in the off-season. I'd like to see us roaring into the playoffs but right now we look like we're wheezing. I LOVE the Wings and have to hope that vet experience will help us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My style is subjection observation with a smattering of statistical analysis, so I see where you're coming from. While a marquee blue liner would have been nice, I'd take anyone but Q at this point.

      I don't think you can really fault the injuries for this, though. Injuries means he gets more playing time, more PP opportunities so that should be more points. And time played doesn't really have much to do with penalty minutes. I suppose the more time spent on the ice means the more chances to commit a penalty. I just the think the guy is being reckless.

      Delete